1 LLCE language for Tuesday May 19th


Meeting/ Romeo and Juliet/ Language

A) Vocabulary



a)   Some more words



an old feud
an exchange of vows
a suitor
a beau
a paramour
bliss
devotion
elation
rapture

ardent
beloved
dazzling
doomed to   failure
etherial
gorgeous



cherish
hanker (after or for something)
yearn (for love or to + V)
woo







b)   But



‘‘ It is but your name’’…

 ‘‘ Call me but love’’ …



It is a beautiful story, but it is sad.  (mais)

It is obvious to everyone but Romeo. (sauf)

He is but a child. (seulement)



B) Old English

a)   Pronouns



Thou :  you subject

Thee : you : object



b)   Word order



Ex : ‘‘ were he not Romeo called’’

‘‘  O that she knew she were’’ 

‘‘ Had I it written, I would tear the word’’ 



Rephrase : what would you write today ?
         ⇒If he wasn’t called Romeo
If only she knew…

Had I written it = If I had written it





C) WILL



‘‘Call me but love, and I’ll be new baptised’’

‘‘Deny your father and refuse your name/ Or, if you will not… ‘’

What does WILL mean in those examples ?





⇒Compare :



- We know that she will run away with him. 
(Expression of the future)


- Will you marry him ?  
 (do you want to)





 -He was miserable... he would write letters... he would wait for her for hours...
(repeated past actions)


Commentaires