1 LLCE TRANSLATE (for Tuesday May 12th)

Gwendolen.  I am afraid it is quite clear, Cecily, that neither of us is engaged to be married to any one.
Cecily.  It is not a very pleasant position for a young girl suddenly to find herself in.  Is it?
Gwendolen.  Let us go into the house.  They will hardly venture to come after us there.
Cecily.  No, men are so cowardly, aren’t they?
[They retire into the house with scornful looks.]
Jack.  This ghastly state of things is what you call Bunburying, I suppose?
Algernon.  Yes, and a perfectly wonderful Bunbury it is.  The most wonderful Bunbury I have ever had in my life.
Jack.  Well, you’ve no right whatsoever to Bunbury here.
Algernon.  That is absurd.  One has a right to Bunbury anywhere one chooses.  Every serious Bunburyist knows that.
Jack.  Serious Bunburyist!  Good heavens!
Algernon.  Well, one must be serious about something, if one wants to have any amusement in life.  I happen to be serious about Bunburying.  What on earth you are serious about I haven’t got the remotest idea.  About everything, I should fancy.  You have such an absolutely trivial nature.

Commentaires