Reading Time a short story PART 3
At the
office next day he clockwatched until it was time to go to the park. The girl
was already there when he arrived.
"I was hoping I'd see you today"
she said. "You see, I'm certain I've come to the right town. You know I
mentioned an MG... well, how's this for amateur sleuthing?... There's the car's
number."
A muscle in his cheek began to twitch rapidly as he read what was
in her notebook. His MG's number. But how had she...? The newspaper report said
there had been no eyewitnesses.
"I'm missing the middle one or two digits
in the numberplate —but it's enough."
"Very
cloak-and-daggerish" he said, forcing a smile. "Have you tried the
local Vehicle Registration Department? Perhaps they can help."
"Oh
yes. No luck, though. But guess what? I've got a photograph of the
car."
The park seemed to spin. He gripped the bench with both
hands."You all right?" she asked.
"What? Oh yes. Just a twinge of
indigestion."
"Well, I haven't actually got the photograph," she
went on. "I've only seen the negative. I'm having a ten-by-eight print
done from it."
"You have been busy!" His voice sounded unreal.
"Look, that friend of mine from Elmston. I've just remembered. He had an
MG. He could be who you are looking for... I might still have an address for
him at home... Have you got a phone number where I can contact you? Better
still, an address in case I miss you here tomorrow."
She wrote down both in
her notebook and tore the page out for him. "Now I must be off," she
said. "I've got more sleuthing to do. l'll look out for you here again
tomorrow."
He gave her a minute or two's start, then began to follow
her. Her first stop was at a photographic shop near the main square. She came
out carrying a large buff-coloured envelope.
That would
be the MG print, he thought, as he observed her getting her bearings. He kept
about fifty yards behind as she crossed the town centre to the offices of the
Evening Gazette. He followed her through the revolving doors, keeping the public
newspaper stands in the foyer between himself and the point where she was
talking at the enquiry counter. Pretending to leaf through the week's back
numbers, he could hear snatches of conversation above the din of typewriters
and telephones."... wedding report twenty-one years ago... would it be
possible to..."... archives are on the fourth floor... first door on the
right as you come out of the lift..."
He watched the girl take the lift.
Time passed. People came and went. He felt clammy and conspicuous. Eventually
she reappeared out of the lift. The receptionist smiled. Had she found what she
had been looking for? Yes, she had. He was in a cold sweat now, but he had no
difficulty keeping her in sight, for he knew the town like the back of his
hand. Where would she head next? Oh God, he thought, don't let it be the police
station.
"Robert! Long time no see!" He started. It was a man he knew
from the Parks Department. He felt like a schoolboy caught playing truant.
"Stretching your legs, eh, Robert?"
"Oh, er, yes." He could
see the girl disappearing down a side turning. "Popped out for
cigarettes."
The man was grinning. "Some looker,
eh?"
"What?"
"That girl you were staring
at."
"Oh," he forced a smile. "Look, can't stop now.
Let's have a drink next week. I'll ring you."
When he finally got away the
girl was nowhere to be seen. He spent the rest of the afternoon fretting at his
desk. Whose wedding had she looked up? And why?
It was not until he and Margaret
were watching TV that evening that the answer came to him; in fact, it was
staring him in the face...On the piano was an ornately framed picture of him
and Margaret on their wedding day. Of course! Why hadn't he thought of it
sooner? The other photos in the family album: there was one of the MG.
He
found the album and flicked through it. There it was —the pair of them, snapped
in the MG as they were leaving the reception to go off on honeymoon. He stared
at himself from twenty years ago: thin face, unlined, thick curling hair. Now
he had a double chin, was balding, wore a moustache and bifocals.
Unrecognisable!
On the back of the MG was a 'Just married' placard, which
obscured the middle two digits on the rear number plate.
The girl must have gone
to every photographer in the district until she found the one who had taken
their wedding pictures. The negatives would have been on file, probably in a
storeroom.The girl had got a print. Then she had searched the Evening Gazette's
back issues for the paper's own picture of the same couple in the MG... which
would tell her the names and parents' addresses. And there the search would
stop, for Margaret's parents had emigrated long ago and his own parents were
dead.
He was safe.Then it struck him like a blow. 'The electoral roll,' he said
out loud. 'She simply goes through it, street by street, until she finds my
name...'
'Did you say something, Robert?' Margaret
called.'What? No, nothing.'
It would be only a matter of time now before his skeleton was out of its cupboard. He would be branded a child-killer, all the more heinous because he had covered his tracks (he had sold the MG immediately they had got back from honeymoon). He would get at least five years for manslaughter. He would lose his job; his reputation would be ruined; everything he had built up over the years... down the drain!
He knew he had not got the strength of character to begin all over again; he was too set in his ways...
'I think I'll go to The Swan for a pint, love. Don't wait up. I might be late.'
'Oh, all right. I'll leave something out for your supper.'
At times like this, he mused, it was positively an advantage having a conventionally predictable spouse.
Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire